Crunchy Falafel and Onions pair with the tangy Peppers & creamy Mayo for a sub sandwich of vegan dreams
- 1 Artisan Grains Super Greens Falafel Mix
- 170 ml of cold water
- Rapeseed oil for frying
- 4 hoagie rolls, sub rolls or a large baguette cut into 4 equal ‘rolls’
- Vegan mayonnaise, to taste
- 1/2 bag of salad leaves, Spinach or baby red chard
- 1 small handful of fresh Basil leaves
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced into long strips
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 small handful of fresh oregano, roughly chopped, or 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
For the Pepper Spread
- 1 Tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- 1 garlic clove
- 50g of pickled Cherry Peppers, Peppadew Peppers or Roasted Red Peppers
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 400°F
- Toast the bread rolls until golden brown
- Slice the bread lengthways without cutting all the way through
- In a food processor, blender or pestle and mortar, combine the Pepper Sauce ingredients.
- Blend until it reaches a smooth consistency or desired thickness. Set aside
- Add the cold water to the Falafel mix, stir well and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat rapeseed oil in a frying pan or pot on medium heat.
- Shape the mix into small balls, using slightly damp hands, and fry until golden brown.
- Leave on kitchen towel to soak up excess oil.
- Spread the mayonnaise on one side of the bread rolls and the Pepper Spread on the other side.
- Add salad leaves, basil leaves and red onion.
- Top with warm Falafel balls, additional red Pepper Spread and a sprinkle of the oregano.